C503607e 0b42 4778 85be D12b9f758d42

Parish Resilience & Emergency Planning

In times of crisis, it is vitally important that communities stand together. Community Resilience enables communities to take control, not only to prevent but also to deal with emergency situations as and when they occur.

Lyndhurst Parish Council is committed to helping residents to be more resilient and prepared and will work closely with Hampshire County Council (HCC) and New Forest District Council (NFDC) to achieve this aim. The Parish Council is doing its part by preparing resilience advice on what residents should do in the event of a range of emergencies and by providing details of who to contact, how and when

Priority Service Registers (PSR) are available with all the Utility companies – Gas, Electric, Water as well as Banks, and possibly telecommunications companies. Vulnerable people can have themselves added to these lists. Unfortunately, not all companies are signed up to data sharing so people have to register with each provider individually. The PSR’s will then attempt to meet people’s special needs e.g., needing emergency water delivered during an outage lasting longer than 12 hours, providing heaters, offering alternative ways of communication.

Who How to Contact
Police Dial 999 in an emergency such as a crime in progress
For all non-emergency Police reporting dial 101
Find out more: www.hampshire.police.uk/
Fire Dial 999 in an emergency.
Find out more: https://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/
Ambulance & NHS Dial 999 in an emergency
NHS non-emergency number: 111
Find out more: https://www.nhs.uk/
Hampshire County Council Highways emergencies 0300 555 1388.

Hampshire Children’s Services daytime:  0300 555 1384
Hampshire Children’s Services out-of-hours:  0300 555 1373

Hampshire Adult Social Care: 0300 555 1384
If your request is urgent and you need support in the next 24 hours

Find out more: https://www.hants.gov.uk/aboutthecouncil/contact/emergency

New Forest District Council Office hours: 023 8028 5000
Out-of-hours emergencies: 07771 259 098
Find out more: Emergency planning – New Forest District Council
Environment Agency Incident hotline 0800 80 70 60 (24-hour service)
Floodline service 0345 988 1188
Gas National Grid: 0800 111 999
Electricity If you have a power cut call 105  or Text POWER and your postcode to 80876

Visit www.powercut105.com to report power loss or damaged equipment
Scottish and Southern Electric Networks 0345 072 1905 or 0800 072 7282

Water Southern Water 0800 820 999.
BT British Telecoms 08001217667
RSPCA 0300 1234 999

Injured animals

Road traffic accident involving an animal

Call 999 in an emergency or 101 for a non-emergency. You must report all accidents to the Police as soon as possible.

Sick, injured or distressed pony, cow, donkey, pig or sheep (not involved in a road traffic accident) (not deer)

Verderers’ Office 023 8028 2052 (Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm).
Forestry England 0300 067 4600 (24 hours)

Deer incidents

Please see this flow chart as it will depend on whether the animal is alive or dead, on or beside a road (or away from a road) and whether or not it is on Crown Land (managed by Forestry England).

Be prepared for evacuation

In some emergencies the safest action is to stay inside, but if the emergency services think it safer to evacuate, the police will clear the area. The District Council will normally provide accommodation for people made temporarily homeless, often by opening a rest centre.

Listen for updates and safety advice on the radio or television and follow advice from emergency authorities.

Practise evacuation procedures beforehand, including a head count.

Have your car under cover, with a full fuel tank, and plan a safe route.

If you do evacuate:

  • Gather family and pets
  • Turn off the electricity, gas and water, and lock doors and windows
  • Take cash, cheque books, credit cards, social security documents and portable valuables
  • Take your emergency survival kit with you.

You may experience a range of physical and emotional reactions after the emergency. These are a normal response to the experience, but consult your GP if they continue.

Further information on preparing for emergencies is available from GOV.UK – Preparing for emergencies.

Weather updates

By listening to the weather forecasts and taking appropriate action when warnings are issued, many emergencies can easily be avoided.

During the winter months, it is important that we are easily seen. By being bright and wearing high visibility or reflective clothing we can improve our own safety, especially in rural areas or where there is less street lighting. Reflective clothing, working lights and items such as wrist bands or strips can be cheap and very effective.

Surface water flooding currently causes the most regular impact to communities across the county.

Ditches and watercourses are designed to drain surface water away; helping to prevent flooding. Ensure ditches and water courses are clear of debris and vegetation is cut back so that water can flow freely.

Power companies

If you have a power cut, call 105 to get up-to-date information. You can also text POWER and your postcode to 80876. They should also be able to let you know when the power will be back on.

If the power remains off for some time make sure you check how safe the food in your fridge and freezer is and dispose of items that are no longer safe to eat.

If you think you can smell gas, call the Gas Emergency Services on 0800 111 999.

If you think you have a gas leak you should:

  • turn off your gas supply at the meter
  • find your emergency control valve and turn the handle so the lever is at 90 degrees to the upright gas pipe
  • open all your doors and windows
  • make sure you don’t switch anything electrical on or off
  • put out all naked flames

If you have any electrical security entry phones or locks, don’t use them. Open your doors manually.

Make the right call

Contacting the right people in an emergency is vital in making sure that you get the right help at the right time. It is also crucial in ensuring that emergency services attend the most urgent, life threatening emergencies as fast as possible.

Non-life threatening:

  • 101 Police
  • 111 NHS

Life threatening:

  • 999 ask for police, fire, ambulance or coastguard.

Hoax callers can be prosecuted and may face fines or imprisonment.